If you have one master list in MailChimp and you want to keep it organized (which is what MailChimp recommends), here is a way to send subscriber information from different Nuggets and Campaigns directly to a segment within your master list.
MailChimp allows you to create segments within your contact lists so you can customize the automated email followup you send to website visitors who convert on different Nuggets. For example, your newsletter Nugget conversions will get an email about joining your newsletter; others will get that White Paper you promised them; and your shoppers will get the discount code offered to them in the shopping cart abandonment Nugget.
How? By default, in addition to the fields you create, 40Nuggets sends other hidden data to MailChimp, including the title of your Nugget, the ID of your Nugget, and the variant of your Nugget. You can create a hidden field in your MailChimp list that receives one or all of these data points. Then you can create a Segment based on that information.
Here's how it comes in:
To set up the Merge Tag field in your MailChimp list:
- Log into MailChimp.
- Click the List tab in your Dashboard.
- Choose the list you want to work with.
- Under the Settings tab, select List Fields and *|Merge|* tags.
- Click Add a field. This will open a row of buttons with types of fields to choose from.
- Choose Text. This will add a new field to your list.
- Under Field label and type, copy and paste one of the following structures: _nugget (for Nugget), _campaign (for Campaign)
- Copy and paste the same structure into the Tags field. You'll probably want to leave it hidden, so you can uncheck the visibility.
- Save your changes.
Now, create a Segment based on the Nugget and Campaign Merge Tags:
- In your list, Navigate to the MANAGE SUBSCRIBERS tab.
- Select "Segments"
- Create a new Segment.
- From the dropdown menu of rules, select "Nugget" or "Campaign," and set the rules as you wish.