Targeting visitors based on their behavior - in this case, whether or not they are subscribed to your newsletter - will help ensure that you are getting high quality leads from conversions on your Nugget.
In order to add a Segment based on subscriber information, you need to have UTM parameters built into any links in your newsletter (or other email content), so that you can pass on subscriber information to 40Nuggets. For more information, see Google's URL Builder.
UTM parameters are tags you add to a URL — when your link is clicked, the tags are sent back to Google Analytics and tracked. With UTM parameters, you can gauge the effectiveness of your campaigns and identify the best ways to drive more visitors to your website. 40Nuggets can also use these UTM parameters to either target or ignore certain visitors to your site.
To add a Segment based on newsletter subscribers:
- Add a new Segment, or edit an existing one.
- Choose Behavior from the menu on the left. This will open all of the options for behavioral targeting.
- Scroll down to the Newsletter Subscribers section.
- Choose whether to target non-subscribers, subscribers, or both.
- Name your Segment something that will remind you of its function, and click Save.
When you build a Segment based on newsletter subscribers, we will look for links in the following form: http://www.yourwebsite.com/something?utm_medium=email. If your UTM parameter doesn't follow conventional protocol, then you can add it into the field under the Advanced tab of your MY ACCOUNT page: